We achieve this by utilising our coaching skills that we have developed through many hours of extra courses that we attend each year! These extra courses improve our skills so that we can pass them on to you our learners.
These courses also ensure that our lessons move with the times and that our learners are able to learn to drive at their pace and I mean learn to drive not just to pass the test! We don't talk about "if you do that, you will fail your test!" All that does is put you under pressure! Instead we concentrate on being able to drive safely, if you can do that then you WILL gain your full license! It's as simple as that!
If you are learning to drive and are using dots or any other such reference points, for your manoeuvres you will probably find that its difficult to remember what to do and when to do it. That's because it’s been over complicated. There is no right way or wrong way to complete a manoeuvre, as long as it is done safely. All you really have to do is look around and work out what you need to do. Don’t put yourself under pressure to complete and concentrate on one aspect at once. So for instance, if you are doing a reverse bay park, concentrate on the speed first, keeping the car slow, don’t worry about steering and getting it in to the bay, that part can come after you have mastered the speed! By trying to master it all at once we are again over complicating it!
Talking about steering, did you know that;
- You will NOT fail your test if you DON’T hold the wheel at 10 to 2! You can hold the wheel however you like as long as it is safe to do so!
- You will NOT fail your test if you cross your hands as long as the car is safe and under control.
- You will NOT fail your test if you take a hand of the wheel! How do you change gear? As long as the car is safe, whilst you remove your hand.
- You ARE allowed to wear sunglasses on your test, if it is sunny it may not be safe to not wear them! Your examiner will still be able to see if you are checking your mirrors!
- DON’T offset your mirrors so that you have to move your head more, therefore the examiner will know you’re checking your mirrors. It’s not safe to not have your mirrors set correctly, and your examiner will be able to tell that they are not set, purely by the excessive head movement! This may result in a fail!
So you are probably wondering where all these came from? Yes, they came from my learners, over the last week, from the ones that have had driving lessons with other instructors. These are just some of the things they have been told on lessons!
Now can you see why we go on development courses and the knowledge that we pass down on to you the learner. Up to date knowledge and not out of date knowledge.
Why not ask your instructor why you have to hold the wheel at 10 to 2! The answer may just be “you’ll fail if you don’t”
So why don’t instructors take extra training? I know the answer to this as they post it on Facebook all too often. They don’t believe in paying someone to attend a course! Yet they expect you to pay them to teach them to drive!
At Xpert Driver Training we are often away on course, my last course that I attended was November 2018 my next course is next month! The total cost of these two courses alone is £650. Not cheap but worth every penny when you see our learners pass the Xpert way quickly!